Monday, January 29, 2007

LAST ROUND OF THE ROBIN?

Before...
Requirement: Some aspect of triangles.

This was tough, because the last thing needed was triangles. I thought I'd just slap some broken dishes together in black and white, excluding green to calm things down a bit, but it was just horrible. I couldn't do it, no matter how much time I put into it and despite the fact that I had no idea what would work.

Then I thought, the last round was my favorite one, why not ignore everything else and just continue some of the details?

So I did. First there were the cornerstones, subtle from grey to green and blended with appliques. I wanted the eye to continue outward, so I made mine bold. The appliques had triangular but organic shapes sticking out of the oval, so I figured that was triangular enough.

The results...


Close up...
The only green added was the thread design which tacked down the pieces.

I'd love to know what you think. I don't think it's amazing, but I'm proud because this was a major hurdle, and I learned to trust my instincts again. Major lesson here: symmetry, repetition, simplicity can't fail, and repeat agreeable colors or aspects of the design. Hmm, that sounds like book material! I hereby reserve it as mine.

3 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

Wow, I love them both. The first one seems to pop!

11:46 AM  
Blogger SeamRippstress said...

Organic Triangles!!! So you. Moving the eye outward throughout...it MAKES the quilt...I think IS amazing...curious what happens to the finished round robin quilt?

11:07 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I really like it. The eye has a place to rest from the interest in the center.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page