Monday, November 27, 2006

I visited this fellow blogger and thought this post quite interesting.
Quilting Fitzy: What American Accent do YOU have? I thought it'd be cute to try and pass on.


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia
The Inland North
The Midland
The South
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


Well, I cudda toldya that! You know, it's funny, somewhere in my teenaged years I tried to cover up the accent, and did so successfully, to some degree. I mean, you could tell I was from New York, but it wasn't that thick. Then I met my husband in Brooklyn College, and his accent is unabashedly thick. I tried to resist it but I spend so much time with him that it became impossible. I started to question why I wanted to tone it down at all? It seemed less scholarly or businesslike, for sure, but once I was home all day with the kids what do I need to worry about that for? It wasn't until I realized that I thought it made me sound less intelligent, that it started to make sense. My brother does it too - but he spends alot of time in Manhattan. (Uh Oh if he reads this I'm in trouble!) Manhattan has it's own "fake" accent. They try to talk like the newscasters on television, very standard American. Why do I call it fake? Just get them mad and you'll see what I mean! Anyway, back to my accent, I decided that it was OK to just let it all hang out, because my husband is probably the most intelligent person I've ever met (just saying that to make a point) and he has a thick accent, why can't I? There will always be someone who thinks less of me perhaps (especially the Manhattanite snobs) but, I've gotten to the age where I just don't care! There is one bonus to it though - you sound tougher and people are less likely to mess with you!

2 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

Looks like I'm a New York/New Jersey kinda gal. Funny thing is, I live out west :) Fun quiz!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Fun quiz, I am fully West...which like you I could have told anyone, as I was born and raised in So. Calif. until a year ago when we moved to Wy,
where the only word that is different is creek, which they say crick. LOL.

Thanks for the quiz....
New ring member
Gail - Big Horn Mountain Creations

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page