Saturday, November 11, 2006

EYE CANDY

CONTEMPLATION III: OH JUST TO BE BY BONNIE LYN MCCAFFERY. OK, as promised here are some of my favorite quilts from Houston. This quilt - oh this quilt. This quilt started my journey towards art quilting. If I'm not mistaken, it was on the cover of Quilting Arts magazine, only I did not own that copy, but saw it in a picture. I tried to pick it apart and see how the artist managed to make something so lifelike and dreamy, to no avail. Then I moved on, forgot about it, and when I went to Houston there it was!!! I remember saying to myself that I would be happy if I could ever quilt like that. Maybe one day. It was a reminder of how far I've come since I've first viewed that quilt, and how far I still have to go.

Here's a close-up. Many of the quilts in Houston use heat fused crystals as embellishments, which I was really happy about because while I love the look of beading, I love the increased sparkle of the crystals, and even more, how much easier they are to affix. For some reason, I like hand work and even hand applique, but the idea of sewing all those beads is just not appealing to me. So, of course, I bought a kit of crystals with the special heat tool!

GULLS IN THE HEAT HAZE BY INGE MARDAL & STEEN HOUGS. This quilt is just magnificent. I don't know if she used paint because I kept telling myself I'd come back to all of my favorite quilts to analyze them, only I didn't have time to see all of the quilts! How sad is that to fly all the way there and not to fully appreciate your favorites! Anyway, I just thought this was magnificent, and as you can see doesn't even look like a quilt!

Close-up just in case you thought I was trying to trick you - it really is a quilt!

RUNDY BY MARILYN BELFORD. I saw this quilt in a magazine last winter and was mezmerized by it. She has used no paint in this quilt. All shading and details are fabric and thread. I don't need to tell you how happy I was to see it in person. While it may be true that one needs to see a painting in real life to fully appreciate the art, how much more true is that for a quilt, with all of the textures and softness. A bunch of people were gathered around this quilt but I dutifully waited my turn to take this picture. One person commented that his eyes were a little creepy, and he did seem to stare at me wherever I went!

Close-up.

Closer-up. See, fabrics and no paint! I'll be posting more, but I just wanted to show you the ones that really turned me on. It seems I'm drawn to pictoral quilts, although always love the traditional ones. I had a major conversation with hubbie the other night as to which direction I am going with my quilting. Am I serious or hobbyist? Art quilter or traditional? I don't have specific answers yet which is so frustrating, but he did help me to see that I have definite likes (pictoral quilts) and dislikes (crazy quilting). It's a real departure in my life. I'm a planner who likes definite, defined goals, and here I am swimming in a free for all art world. Can I sink or swim, or do I just get out of the pool and do something else? Fundamentally, that is what this blog is about!

8 Comments:

Blogger Melzie said...

Oh the fairy quilt is exsquisite. The gulls I swear I thought was real til I scrolled down more LOL :) Great quilts good luck with your branching out plans! xoxo melzie

11:32 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Ya know, it's funny this life we live.

I am a planner per se, but not a list maker. My plans and goals are VERY short range, almost to "immediate" level. I take one thing at a time and refuse to take a look down the road.

Pictorals really grab me too, but the lack of orderlyness in the willynilly zigzag stitch scares the heck outta me!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what great quilts..thanks for sharing them.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought you'd like to know...
http://www.marilynbelford.com/content/gallery/legends-of-the-bible/

& Miriam with her Timbrel is under "Women of Legend."

7:07 AM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

I saw Rundy at the show too--pretty amazing & very out of my league!

5:05 PM  
Blogger ML said...

Eye candy, indeed! That's amazing detail!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Rundy is an amazing quilt. The others are great too but Rundy I think is my favorite. I can't imagine the work that goes into creating this piece of work. Thank you for sharing!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

There is so much to do and try in the quilting world, that it would be a shame to limit yourself early on. I especially like the idea of journal quilts - make a quilt the size of a piece of paper to try different techniques, styles, etc. I think if we do the things we think we will love to do, even if it doesn't fit into a coherent theme, it will make us happy.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page