Monday, November 06, 2006

HOUSTON QUILT FESTIVAL


Guess where I went this weekend?

Those of you who were there know what this is!

HOUSTON I'm sorry, I don't mean to start on a negative note but what the heck? I thought this had to be one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen. It housed the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen though. When some of my quilting buddies told me they were going to Houston for the Quilt show, I was sooo jeaulous. I mean, you can have all of the money, looks, brains, whatever and I'll be happy for you, but, you're going to a quilt show and not me? No way! So, last minute, hubby and I made the plans and we went! This place is so huge I didn't even have the chance to see everything, or buy everything, that I wanted. I'd never been to Texas before, so it was quite an adventure, but I really didn't get to see much as the weather was bad, and we came in and left in a whirlwind. Next time I have to plan to venture into and around the city. Y'all have amazing neighborhoods with all the amenities, and all car friendly! After commenting on how friendly everyone is in Houston, a gentleman proudly told me that Texas is known as the friendship state, and that any true Texan takes that reputation quite seriously, or he's not a true Texan, except for those in Dallas. Yep, that's really what he said! Anyway, Houston, I love ya!

My hotel on the other hand, was designed really well. I thought this was so cool - It's a panel of broken glass in the elevator, covered, of course, with smooth glass, and reached from floor to ceiling.

And check out this chandelier in the lobby. Is it not the coolest?

Here's a close-up. In any other building it might look like an eyesore, but because this place was so huge and it receded into the ceiling, you really don't notice it unless you look. Brilliant!
It's true what they say, Texans like everything B-I-G!!!
I have to go over all the quilt pics and artists to see which is worth sharing with you, so bare with me! More to come!

But I will show you this. Round robin before it came to me...

Round robin after. So much better! Now I have to work on that black white and green one, although with all the inspiration from the Quilt show I'd much rather be doing something artsy. Stay tuned!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there too! Plan to meet me next year, OK?

11:46 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

So lucky that you were able to go!! I love the RR, too.

12:55 AM  
Blogger ML said...

Wow, not so nice looking on the outside, but lovely in the inside. Love the round robin.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been to Texas but I worked for an oil company where the head office was situated in Houston. I would get many calls from Houston and they were soooo friendly! I loved talking to them. I would love to go to Texas. I love that word "ya'll". Is that a southern word? I have picked it up from a sewing site I visit alot. Most of the members are from the States.

Anyways, you lucky girl! I wish I could have gone.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

Hey everyone!
I was thinking that if I get to go next year, all us bloggers should meet up at a certain time in a certain spot. Wouldn't that be fun! Thanks for the compliments on the round robin. Yes, Lori, y'all is very southern! Maybe next year y'all can go too!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Always nice to meet another person through cyberspace who appreciates quilting and most of all who enjoyed their visit to Texas! I came to Houston in 1978 after graduating from college with the intention of staying 2 weeks...I'm still here!!! And I so enjoyed the quilt show. Come back next year and stay longer!
I posted my Quilt Show experience on my blog:
http://e14studio.blogspot.com

10:45 PM  
Blogger Granny Fran said...

Is that chandalier a Chihuly? It looks kind of like his work. Great that you actually packed up and went. I have to do it next year. Colorado is too close to Texas for that to be an excuse.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your Houston photos. I didn't get to go this year and I'm still pouting.

As someone that lives in Texas, I don't find the people here any more friendly than anywhere else in the country. Although, it may be because I live near Dallas.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh you lucky girl. It is one of my dreams to someday get there. Love the round robin quilt, that border really adds to it.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next year in Houston!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn! I was there too! I wish I'd have known you were there... maybe we could have met. Yep, we're friendly! Its nothing to talk to someone for 10 minutes even if ya don't know them! :)

I think the convention center is "supposed" to look like a cruise ship. Its an odd thing, isn't it? But very nice on the inside. I'm glad you had fun at the quilt show!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page