Sunday, April 15, 2007

MORE PROGRESS

We had that terrible Nor'easter today - all day. Isn't it great to have quilting as a hobby on a day like today? We never feel stuck indoors! The kids were surprisingly content with the nothingness, but once in a while I had to play referee.
I put a real dent in that quilt today. I didn't sew a stitch because this quilt goes together in rows and I have to concentrate on which way to press the seam allowances, which always get mixed up anyway. Instead I focused on color and placement, cutting and pressing and starching my fabrics over and over again. It would be so much easier if the pattern were one dark, one light, and also easier if I could sew it color by color, but it must go together in rows, or it may not go together at all in the end!
I began the colorway having in mind that it would be strictly adhered to - that is to say, there is a 2 row surround of each color. You can see the red is strictly bright rainbow red, and the light is a very pale pink in order for the red to stand out even more. With the oranges, I simply didn't have pale oranges, and couldn't even find too many in stores, so I had to bend my rules and use some light medium oranges. I even turned some of them to the other side to get the color lighter!
The yellows are still proving to be the most difficult. I could have kept them all dark yellows to enhance the stars and keep the pattern, but there would be no bright rainbow yellows (making up the star itself, anyway) and that is what I really wanted. So yes, the design does break apart a bit, but that break gives the eye a focus on the center, then outward and in again, and the design to search for in the yellows. Keeps it interesting, I think.
I had a very fun time putting the greens together today. I own plenty of them, which made it easier, of course. What I love the most is the use of yellow greens primarily in the inner layer, to blend better with the yellows, and blue greens in the outer layer, to blend better with the next blue layer. This is a complete departure from my strict hexagonal colors I envisioned in the beginning. I even started using an extremely pale green to fill in some of the missing yellows, which enhances the blending even more.
All I need is a few more storms (not too intense!) and I may actually finish this quilt!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's looking great!

6:35 AM  
Blogger flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

The colors look great together, very cheerful!

8:37 AM  
Blogger SeamRippstress said...

Wow. Love your strategic placement and color choices. Wish we could get snowed in for a day or two.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

This quilt looks great. I like the green around the reds to look like leaves. Very nice.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miriam, Today is May 12, 2007.
Where are you? I keep checking to see if you posted anything more and I'm disappointed that you haven't. I enjoy reading about your quilting and living in NY. I hope everything is alright with you and your family. Looking forward to your next entry.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Granny Fran said...

What a spectacular quilt! I love it.

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its looking great, have a nice day :D

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page