Monday, July 23, 2007

WHERE IN THE WORLD? PART II

I hate to taunt you, but I am having a bit of fun with this. OK so maybe I do like to taunt. Last time I posted pictures of my vacation and asked for guesses as to where you readers think I am. I have more pictures for you - and yes, I am still here. These pictures will pull it together for some, and throw some of you off. Let's have some fun, shall we? PLEASE DO POST YOUR GUESS!

This place intrigued me. It is almost in the middle of nowhere, but it's near the house where I am staying, which you could also say is almost in the middle of nowhere. Every time I pass it I am in awe of it's beautiful architecture, and how the gardens are a perfect compliment. This angle was the best I'd seen of the structure, taken from a very unlikely place, a museum of historical and military accomplishments. Here's a close up...A few days later we met up with another friend from high school in a mall for a quick dinner with our misbehaved children. In the mall, there was this great mosaic which I thought would make a terrific quilt block...They sure do love their mosaics here. A family down the block has this cute one in the middle of their porch, just begging me to photograph it - so of course, I did...

Then there was this fabulous one, in another mini-mall in another up and coming city, also nearby...

Just outside that mini-mall was a playground with the most beautiful sunset...



I digress, back to the hints. Last week we went on a mini vacation within the vacation, and we drove - I should say, I drove, because hubbie hurt his foot - through intimidating, winding roads that were really in the middle of nowhere. For a native New Yorker like myself, this was a little freaky because I am not used to that, and all I could think about was how long it might take someone to find me here if God forbid something went wrong! It's terrible, I know, I can't really fully enjoy the quiet of a vacation but hey, it's survival back home to have the mind constantly aware of surroundings and permutations. So picture this, I am driving in the middle of the desert, winding around mountains, descending and ascending, and all of a sudden, I come around one arbitrary bend and saw this...


This is a magnificent sight, the R____ Crater, which legend says was created by a meteor but in reality was formed by water. Mind boggling gorgeous was this humongous thing. I didn't want to leave. The pictures just don't do it justice. It's quite humbling to see something so vast. I haven't been to the Grand Canyon but I suppose I'd have the same feeling there.


Why would I drive through a huge desert? Am I out of my mind? Well I may be, but it was to arrive at this resort, nestled in the desert hills. The resort was quite unique and had "Tuk Tuks" (essentially, glorified golf carts) take you up and down the mountain from your room to wherever. Yes, that is a shoreline you see, fish and coral all around.


Before you commit me, check out this view from the lounge. Still think I'm crazy?When we drove back, we took a different route. Aside from getting this great picture (that's two camels, in perfect symmetry)...

We saw this...


Here's a view from the dashboard. This is a two way highway, folks, travelled by huge double trucks and tour buses. To pass someone, one must go into oncoming traffic. To complicate things, you can't see around the bend and have no pick-up going uphill!


Slowly but surely, plant life, and then forest green as far as the eye can see...


For my next post, I'll show you what I did yesterday. I can't show you that without giving it all away :)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for your next post. This is very exciting and I envy you and your family. Praying for your safe return.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am still guessing Israel. And it looks like you took a mini-vacation to the Dead Sea. Cool! Can't wait to see more pictures.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egypt.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Deborah M. said...

I agree with Sarah and Anonymous: Israel or Egypt. Somehwere in the middle east.

7:19 AM  
Blogger SeamRippstress said...

What i would give to dive the Red Sea! Just don't let me drive there! Yikes!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page