Wednesday, June 07, 2006


Here's the very shiny polyester brocade I'm going to try to use. Why do I say try? Because I'm out of practice with garment sewing, and have been sewing with cotton knits for as long as I can remember. Two things scare me about this. First, it frays like crazy. As a matter of fact, the blue strings that just fall off were used to accent my apple quilt - remember? This doesn't scare me so much because I do have a serger. Which brings me to the next thing that scares me - the slightly curved seams. If I need to clip them to lie flat then what about the fraying? I calm myself thinking it's just a slight curve. Julia! I need you!

2 Comments:

Blogger JuliaR said...

Hi Miriam, in case you don't go back to check my blog where I amswered your question...

I am going to assume that you plan to serge each piece first, all around the edges and then sew the pieces together and press open the seam allowances. For the curved parts, another option is to serge the edges together right at the stitching line and then press the seam allowances (now sewn together) to one side. You shouldn't need to clip into the seam allowances if they are narrow enough. They always say to clip curves around shoulders but I just trim one seam allowance close to the stitching (about 1/4 inch is close enough otherwise you can get fraying into the seam line) and then fold over the other one to make a flat fell. Even on sharp curves like a princess seam around the bust line, I don't clip.

I suppose another option would be to wait until you are done the curved seam and then serge as close as you can on each side of the seam allowance and press it open. I also think that judicious pressing could do the trick too. Is that clear?

I see what you mean about the fraying - I have worked with stuff like that too and it can be a crazy-maker!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Miriam said...

I was pleasantly surprised that the seams, pressed open with a generous seam allowance, curved fine! The fabric was surprisingly accomodating.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page