Tuesday, January 31, 2006


This is the quilt the giftee chose. I hate it, which makes it a real challenge as I took up this hobby to do what I wanted. Everything else in my life is determined by my kids, hubby, and their schedules, and quilting was for me. In addititon, she wants only solid pastel colors. So, there was a problem with that, as I don't have many solid fabrics, and certainly not pastels. Oh, and did I mention that it "has to match her room?" I explained to her grandmother that cost we agreed on is not enough for me to be worried about matching her room and purchasing a whole slew of new fabrics. If I did that I'd almost lose money on this quilt. So tonight, I'll ask the girl to purchase her own fabrics for slightly less cost to the grandma.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Boschert said...

Oh Miriam... I am so bummed out for you. This is already turning out to be a big learning experience for you. I love the square in a square pattern, but I can see how the fabric, design and materials issues could make this a big challenge. In the meantime, I hope you'll do some brainstorming about how you can bring in some income with your art while not squashing the creative spirit. Hang in there!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what Deborah said. I liked the previous quilt too, because of the subtle stars. Perhaps you could make up a block from the chosen quilt in fabrics from your stash before going for the solids. Sometimes a non-creative client can't see the potential that we see and just needs a little push before realizing that we were right all along :-)

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page