Sunday, November 27, 2005

"SUMMER SUNSHINE" 10/05


Of this quilt I am most proud to date. I completed it in October and it is currently hanging in a local gallery. This picure is before some quilting and the before frame was added. When it returns I'll update the blog. It'll be hanging in my dining room for sure.

This quilt is based on a photo I took of my boys. Picture this: end of summer, still warm, Sunday morning 7am. The three of us are in a good mood, and the boys dressed in their summer pajamas - white oversized t-shirts - run outside to play, the elder still sleepy-eyed and not yet participating. The morning sunlight was magical. I suppose it helped that they were playing so nicely!

My goal for this quilt was only to see if I could capture the light, it's direction, and keep it somewhat as magical as the original picture. I feel I've succeeded. After this quilt I started looking at books of the classical master painters, and by far, my favorite is VerMeer. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Elle said...

I really like this piece! At first I thought it was taken from a vintage photo because of their long T-shirts.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

welcome to the webring. this is a great quilt.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Deborah Boschert said...

Lovely! Did you piece it? Fuse? I also love seeing the photo on which it's based in your newer posts. This will be a treasured heirloom for your family. Great job.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

Thanks, all. This piece was completely fused onto the black fabric. I used black (slightly darker than the street in photo) to emphasize the light on their hair. I loved that it came out looking like a lakeside photo, with a bird flying by.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page