Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Art Quilting Begins

As soon as I have pictures available for my past quilts, I'll be posting them to the blog. Lately I've been doing a lot of work on hubby's laptop so I can be around the children during homework, play, fights, etc. My pictures are on the other computer.

I've recently been inspired with the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac. I started to feel a quilt coming on, and did some research. All of the wonderful historical art associated with this are so graphic and horrifying, focusing on the actual act - the moment that the father was to sacrifice his son. This was his only son after too many years without, from his beloved Sarah, so surely while his faith was unwavering he must have been truly miserable to the depths of his soul.

I want to focus on the moment before this, and bring out his love for his son. Furthermore, not much attention is really given to his son, who, according to Jewish tradition, was 37 years old at the time. Isaac therefore was a willing participant who inherited his elderly father's steadfast faith. I also want Isaac's sacrifice to become clear in the work.

Wanting is nice, but will I be able to pull it off? I don't draw, but last night I drew, and the idea came across beautifully, even though it is far from a work of art. I can't wait to get to my medium, the beloved cloth, to work magic. Even if it doesn't come out the way I envision, it will still be a quilt, and lovable as such. I will post the drawing and each step of the process when the work is well under way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Boschert said...

Have you heard of, or seen, the Women of Biblical Porportions quilt exhibit? I think there is also a Men of Biblical Porpotions exhibit. It might be interesting to look at as your ideas come together. The story is so FULL of potential.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

I have heard of it. Must look that up, thanks!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page