Monday, November 14, 2005

Entry Into the Blogoshpere

This is quite exciting. I am finally entering the blogosphere, and what better way to do that than to connect with fellow quilters.

I just began quilting 2 years ago, and it didn't take long to get obsessed, as all you quilters out there know. I started out with the goal of making a mariner's compass quilt perfectly. I enjoy being perfect with quilting because my life certainly isn't. Isn't it comforting to have something come out (almost) perfect?

Well, not much was getting done trying to be perfect, and my stash just kept building and building. I was also quite lonely being a quilter in New York City. Not too many people quilt here, which is quite understandable, because it's such a rush rush lifestyle. In fact, most people look at me like I'm crazy, for sure thinking, "why on earth would you want to do that?"

Then a new neighbor moved in next door. Ellen used to quilt 20 years or so ago. I was so into it she caught the bug again. To make a long story a little shorter, she is an art teacher and accomplished painter, who got me into the art quilts that are so intriguing in the quilting world now.

Fast forward 2 years, I have two quilts in a local gallery and they are far from perfect. For one of them, I made a radical departure into the art quilting world, only because Ellen (and my other quiltmates who I'll introduce you too shortly) were in my head saying, "Just do it, just get it done. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't matter if you choose the right fabric." The result amazed me, as I FELT through the process instead of THINKING through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page